Monday, January 9, 2012

The Amazing Race di Yogyakarta

This afternoon Kym and I decided to have a “becak” race to Amplus (a shopping centre).  The rules for the race were:

1.     You had to barter for the fare price, so we could practise our Bahasa Indonesia.
2.     The first becak to reach Amplus was the winner.
3.     You couldn’t tell your drive that it was a race.
4.      You needed to take a photo of your becak driver at the finish line. 

I was first to negotiate a price for my becak ride.  However, my driver was focused on customer service and decided to ask me if I wanted the hood up or down.  My answer was “tidak apa-apa” or “whatever.”  This was the wrong reply, as he then spent the next 2 minutes taking down the hood of the becak.  In this time Kym had quickly jumped on her becak and travelled down the road.  I was unable to make up Kym’s lead, so she won the race by about 100 metres.  

My becak driver.
Notice that the hood to the becak has been pulled down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment