Monday, January 30, 2012

Trying to bargain di Jalan Malioboro

I attempted to bargain at the markets in Malioboro street.  I had been waiting to do this for nearly 4 months and had been trying to practise my numbers in Bahasa Indonesia, so I would not be ripped off.  My Indonesian teacher back in Australia had organized us to do role plays to prepare for bargaining while visiting the markets.  So I was very keen to see if my language skills were good enough or how much I need to improve.  I checked out a few store to start with and then went back to one to give it a try.  I asked how much a particular shirt was and they quoted Rp 40.000.  Keen to bargain I replied with Rp 20.000 and thought that I would only have to go up a little.  The shop assistant replied quickly in Indonesian saying something that I couldn't understand and then requoted the Rp 40.000 price.  This went back and forward for a while, which was when my friend pointed out the below sign to me, which states that you can't bargain at that stall.  I ended up paying Rp 40.000 for the shirt.  In fact most of the stores I went to wouldn't bargain and I ended up paying full price.  But at lest I tried.  Tidak apa-apa, saya sudah coba!


The sign stating you can't bargain.  

The items I purchased at the market.  

A statue in Jalan Malioboro. 

The famous pillar in Yogyakarta.  

No comments:

Post a Comment